By Gene Hall
There is a certain level of frustration in writing about things that are pretty easily proven to be true and have folks lock down the all caps key to tell me – I DON’T BELIEVE THAT. Fair enough. There are things I don’t believe either. Here’s the top 10 list.
10. I don’t believe everything I see on the Internet
9. I don’t believe the level of regulations that can be forced on agriculture without severe consequences is unlimited
8. I don’t believe that the public understands the issues surrounding their food supply (most admit it)
7. I don’t believe that not knowing something stops some of us from having strong opinions on it
6. I don’t believe anti-GMO activists know that their position has been pretty thoroughly discredited by science
5. I don’t believe Monsanto is the devil incarnate…just a company….worse than some, better than some
4. I don’t believe animals are mistreated on the overwhelming majority of America’s farms and ranches
3. I don’t believe corporations force farmers to do anything
2. I don’t believe that I should be afraid of the most remarkable food supply in the history of the planet
1. I don’t believe that Chipotle cares that its Scarecrow video is complete nonsense
I do believe in the traditions and the promise of American agriculture–
all kinds, all sizes and all methods. I also believe in the people of the land.